Category Archives: Environment

Environment and organic assets

Earthshine

First glimpse of my graduation project, a game demo running on PS4 which we worked on as a team of four people.

This is a third person adventure game featuring live combats against otherworldly creatures. The player is invited to explore an old temple from which these creatures first appeared and unveil the mystery of their origin.

Along with a team mate, my tasks focused on creating and building the environment (mostly modular). I played a part in the lighting and the visual effects, like the torches and some particle systems.

The demo had to run at 60 fps on PS4, and was made with Unity 2017.

I hope to post more stuff and detailed breakdowns about this project soon.
Also, a trailer is coming in June.

Garden Entrance

image

image

A personnal project inspired by some nice architectural elements I have come across last summer in Britanny.

I wanted to start using Blender again and see what I could come up with regarding sculpting and retopology.

high poly image

low poly image

The texturing was done in Substance Painter, using a granite rock material I recreated in Designer and based on a raw picture. A good occasion to deepen my knowledge of the Susbtance suite.

From left to right: Metal – Rough – Color – Normal

Texture image

I used particle systems for the grass.

 

Medieval Game Environment (WIP)

Here is a first overview of my second end year project: a medieval / fantasy scene made with Unity 5.
Time was running out and this is what I managed to do before submitting the work.
Specific shaders were provided to improve the performances on the target platform (GPD-Q9 with Android 4.4).

Everything is there: A landscape generated with WorldMachine, a sky, a castle, a forge, some trees, rocks and medieval props.

 

There are a few things that need to be reworked, like the lighting of the interior as you may have noticed. I also plan to create more foliage, improve some textures and tweak the moods, among other things, so I can bring more variety and harmony to the whole.

 


The Hero Asset

 

To be continued…

Project Revive: Bioscience Lab Modular Environnent

Finally. Here is an overview of my very first modular game environment created and rendered in Unreal Engine 4.15, for an end-of-year project.

This is a living room which is part of a space bioengineering laboratory.
The story behind tells us that some advanced alien civilisation invested an asteroid, trying to recreate a habitable biosphere after their star died and blew up their home planet (hence the project name Revive).

The scene consists of about 70 different modular units and props, created in 3ds Max.

The maximum texture resolution allowed for this project was 2048*2048. Also I could only have 1 material ID per object. For all the 3D assets (except the organic elements) I decided to use 1 texture set, which I progressively filled up throughout the process, primarily in Photoshop.

The main shader uses:
– Diffuse RGB texture,
– Normal RGB texture,
– Emissive RGB texture,
– Roughness, Metalness, AO and Opacity mask packed in one RGBA texture,
– A triplanar mapped dirt texture.


Textures used for all props and modular units.

The final render looks very new, clean and shiny, but since we are in a bioenginiering lab it makes sense, somehow.

Unlit

Lighting only

More screenshots:

See this on my Artstation

Highlands Boulders

An arrangement of modular rocks sculpted in Zbrush and textured in 3DCoat.

The final set has 11 rock units and a polycount of about 14k tris.

Roughness, Albedo/Color and Normal map:

Rendered in UE4 (4K textures) (do not pay attention to that random ground texture):

I wanted to make them look realistic so I made my textures out of raw pictures (actually of a piece of an old rock wall) that I projected on the low poly models. The cracks and most of the details in the normals come from the baked high poly.

The set also includes 3 little clumps of moss. Timewise not very efficient for filling an entire scene or even covering a single rock with these, but, anyway… this was part of the experiment.

Sketchfab (2K textures)

C64 Title Screen Pixel Art

pixel art image

This is a little school project that consisted of creating a title screen for an imaginary game that would run on the Commodore 64:

pixel art image

I had to use GangEd’s default color palette and choose the Commodore’s native resolution.

Here is the actual full 160×200 resolution version:

pixel art image

The interesting challenge was that I had to consider the colour clash (in order to save memory usage we are limited to 4 colours per cell of 32 pixels in Multicolor bitmap mode, which means when we add a fifh colour an other one is overwritten). It quickly becomes a very meticulous work… well … after all, this is pixel art.